City Council delays decision on pit-bull ordinance
By Jennifer Myers, firstname.lastname@example.org
Posted: 01/14/2009 06:45:10 AM EST
LOWELL — An hour of passionate lobbying from animal advocates convinced the City Council to delay a vote on a proposed pit-bull ordinance last night.
[…] Emanuel Maciel, the president of the Animal Control Officers of Massachusetts and Animal Control Officer for the city of New Bedford said breed-specific laws are too difficult to enforce because there are so many mixed breeds.
“In New Bedford the ordinance does not work,” he said. “You take the dog to the vet and the vet says it is a boxer mix, then what do you do?”
Councilor Rita Mercier admitted that she had been leaning toward approving the ordinance, but the evening’s testimony swayed her.
The Council voted unanimously to delay the vote in order to take representatives from the MSPCA, Humane Society, Lowell Unleashed and others up on their offer to work with the city to formulate an ordinance that will work best for all residents.
Keyword Site Search
Find It Fast!
Subscribe to Alerts
- Georgia bill to prohibit breed discriminatory laws moves forward goo.gl/fb/G6QwDJ 12 months ago
- RT @Robmontz: @stopbslcom Hey guys -- I just dropped this new vid through @reason that's right up your alley: youtube.com/watch?v=MEmijf… 2 years ago
- Georgia bill to prohibit breed discriminatory laws moves forward goo.gl/fb/nbZu7v 2 years ago
- Platteville, WI discussing possible pit bull ban goo.gl/fb/velJsq 2 years ago
- Two repeals from Tuesday, March 10, 2015 goo.gl/fb/y8w5wW 2 years ago