Thanks to Jodi for this alert:
California state law PROHIBITS breed specific legislation (with the exception of mandatory spay/neuter for specific breeds). The Exeter City Council is considering an ordinance that would regulate the ownership of:
Pit bulls, Rottweilers, Chow Chows, Akitas, Doberman Pinschers, Anatolian Shepherds, Wolf/wolf hybrids
This issue will be heard by the council on Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 7:00 p.m.
Please send your POLITE, RESPECTFUL AND INFORMATIVE opposition to breed specific legislation, as well as viable alternatives and suggestions for the council’s consideration. The meeting is TUESDAY, so please get your letters out ASAP.
Bless the Bullys
City of Exeter, 137 North “F” Street, PO Box 237, Exeter, CA 93221
Phone (559) 592-9244
Fax (559) 592-3556
Mayor Victor Howell
Bailey Hagar Jr.
Full text of the proposed ordinance: http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/assets/pdf/J415135725.PDF
Exeter proposal would regulate certain dog breeds
BY HILLARY S. MEEKS
February 6, 2010
[…]Some of the rules that dog owners […] would have to follow are:
- Owners would have to have the animals spayed and neutered.
- The listed breeds would be limited to one per household.
- The breeds would not be allowed outside, even in a fenced yard, unless in a “securely enclosed and locked pen or kennel, except when leashed and muzzled.” The pens would need a secure top, and any structures built to house dogs would have to comply with city zoning and building regulations.
- A “Beware of Dog” sign would have to be put on the premises.
- All owners or others with such dogs would have to within 10 days of ownership provide proof of public liability insurance for a single incident of $50,000 for bodily injury or death or for damage to property.[…]
Full article retrieved 2/8/10 from http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/article/20100206/NEWS01/2060506/Exeter-proposal-would-regulate-certain-dog-breeds