Thanks to Jodi for this alert!
A breed specific ordinance regulating the ownership of “pit bulls” has been in place in Camdenton, MO for several years. The proposed revisions would remove the grandfather clause from the original ordinance. Considering inclusion under the grandfather clause required registration of any “pit bull” living in the city limits prior to 1988, the change to this ordinance seems a wasteful and petty move on the part of city officials there as any dog properly registered has long since passed away.
Camdenton officials work to strengthen pit-bull ban
If passed, ordinance would completely outlaw dog breed
An issue brought before the Camdenton Board of Aldermen, during its regularly scheduled meeting Tuesday would amend an existing ordinance making it illegal for anyone to own or care for a pit bull within the city limits.
The original ordinance read as follows, “It shall be unlawful to possess a pit bull dog within the municipal limits of the City of Camdenton, unless such an animal was licensed to be within the city prior to Oct. 4, 1988.”
If the re-written ordinance is passed by the Board it will read as follows, “It shall be unlawful to keep, harbor, care for, own or possess in any way a pit bull dog within the Municipal limits of the City of Camdenton. A pit bull may be identified as any dog which exhibits those distinguishing characteristics that substantially conform to the standards established by the American Kennel Club or United Kennel Club as described in the identification checklist, which is on file in the city offices. Such identification by city personnel using the above standards shall be prima facie proof and shall create a rebuttable presumption that a dog is a pit bull. Such presumption may be rebutted in municipal court actions for violations of this section only upon ample proof offered by the defendant in such action.”
[…]The Camdenton Board of Aldermen was scheduled to vote on the ordinance changes during Tuesday’s meeting. The results of that meeting were unavailable at press time. Check out next week’s issue of The Lake Today to find out more.
Retrieved 1/9/11 from http://www.thelaketoday.com/news/2011/jan/05/camdenton-officials-work-strengthen-pit-bull-ban/
Current ordinance reads as follows:
TITLE II. PUBLIC HEALTH SAFETY AND WELFARE
Chapter 210: Animals and Fowl
* * *
SECTION 210.160: PIT BULL DOGS NOT ALLOWED
It shall be unlawful to possess or own a pit bull dog within the Municipal limits of the City of Camdenton unless such animal was licensed to be within the City prior to October 4, 1988. (Ord. No. 1829-01 §1, 6-19-01)
PIT BULL: Shall include any of the following:
1. Staffordshire bull terrier breed of dog;
2. The American pit bull terrier breed of dog;
3. The American Staffordshire terrier breed of dog;
4. Any mixed breed of dog which contains as an element of its breeding the breed of Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or American pit bull terrier as to be identifiable as partially of the breed Staffordshire bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier, or American pit bull terrier;
5. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breeds of Staffordshire bull terrier, American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire terrier; and other breeds commonly known as pit bulls, pit bull dogs, or pit bull terriers, or a combination of any of these breeds.
EMAIL Camdenton, MO city members at
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Are Jews and people of colour allowed in this town.