Previous info on SC Marine base ban and temperament testing: http://stopbsl.com/?s=marine
Ironically, only 2% of the banned dogs on the base proved, through temperament testing, to actually pose a danger. The other 98% of “aggressive”-type dogs were shown to be safe family pets.
The testing was not performed on non-banned types of dogs. If the goal of the policy is to protect base residents from aggressive dogs, why weren’t the temperament tests done on all residents’ dogs? Why weren’t all aggressive dogs removed from base, and the non-aggressive ones left alone, regardless of their physical appearance?
Contact info for Marine Corps spokesperson
Headquarters Marine Corps 1st Lt. Brian Block
The Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
Two of 85 dogs ousted from South Carolina Marine bases for aggressiveness
October 9, 2009 | 11:26 am
Most of the pit bulls, Rottweilers and canine-wolf mixes assessed at Marine bases in South Carolina this week get to keep their Marine dog tags.
Of 85 dogs from the three breeds checked by experts from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, only two were found to be so aggressive as to pose a danger to Marines and their families. Those two will have to leave base housing. […]
Full article retrieved 10/10/09 from http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/unleashed/2009/10/two-of-85-dogs-ousted-by-aspca-from-south-carolina-marine-bases.html