There are quite a few alternatives to BSL that promise public protection and bite reduction without as many drawbacks.
What BSL misses—the role of the owner in creating a safe or dangerous situation—these alternatives tackle head on.
- View some model dog ownership laws.
- Consider the role of proper containment in preventing dog bites.
- Prevent dog abuse and dog fighting in your community.
- Educate children and adults about safety around dogs.
- Offer low-cost or free spay and neuter programs to encourage people to invest in their pets.
- Offer low-cost or free training or a behavior helpline to encourage people to understand their dog’s behavior.
- Regulate breeders to ensure that puppies start out on the right foot, behaviorally and health-wise.
- Prevent violent, abusive, and irresponsible people from obtaining any more dogs.
Pingback: BSL Verdict: No Justice–But New Idea Inspired by Case « Pet Defense
Pingback: Westwego Louisiana officials introduce strict breed discriminatory requirements | Stop BSL
Pingback: Aurora Colorado may reconsider their ban | Stop BSL